Security guard arrested in Riudoms after shoot out leaves four wounded

The victims are three former colleagues at Securitas and a police officer wounded during the escape

2 min
EMS personnel attending to the wounded in the shooting at a security company in Tarragona

TarragonaThe security guard who shot and wounded three former colleagues and a police officer on Tuesday in Tarragona has been arrested. The man barricaded himself in an abandoned farmhouse between the municipalities of Riudoms and Borges del Camp and, after exchanging fire with police, he was "neutralised" and arrested. The agents had deployed a strong police device to catch the fugitive and had warned that he was armed and dangerous. The detainee, aged 40, has a weapons permit, knows how to use them and had managed to avert police controls in Tarragona and reach this the Baix Camp in a Citroën Xsara. Officers cut the T-11 highway, which connects Reus and Tarragona, to surround the area and prevent him from fleeing again.

The security guard who shot three former colleagues and a police officer this Tuesday in Tarragona.

The facts took place this morning, when the man, a former Securitas worker, carried out an armed attack on the company headquarters, located in the Plaça General Prim de Tarragona, wounded three people and then fled. According to the first information, he had been fired from the company and had not yet returned his weapon, while the wounded are company workers and, therefore, his former colleagues.

The wounded have been transferred to the Hospital Joan XXIII in Tarragona: one man was critically wounded, while a man and a woman were seriously injured, as reported by the Emergency Medical System (SEM), which sent10 teams to the scene.

The Catalan police tried to cut off all escape routes, in order to trap and arrest the perpetrator. In addition, they asked residents of Borges del Camp (Baix Camp) to take extreme precautions and not leave home or use their cars, since all access routes to the town had been cut. During the escape, the man seriously wounded a police officer at a checkpoint. The Catalan police received notice of the attack at 11.17 hours on Tuesday.