Two years after the deadly fire in Valencia: "I'm excited to return to the building in 2027"

Residents of the Campanar building remember the ten victims as they witness the progress of the rehabilitation work

ValenciaWhen two years ago the building fire In the Campanar neighborhood of Valencia, where ten people died, the hope of those affected to return to their apartments is gradually replacing the memory of the suffering endured during the tragedy. Mourning for the victims, who will be remembered this Sunday in a memorial ceremony, remains. A testament to the growing hope are José Javier Abarca, Javier Baldoví, and Àlex Chiva, three residents who are close to recovering their homes. We spoke with them a few days before the anniversary in the park adjacent to the building. In the background, the sounds of hammers and pickaxes from the construction workers and the whir of cement mixers can be heard. These are proof that the reconstruction work is progressing. The date marked on the calendar for its completion is between December of this year and January of next year. "I'm incredibly excited. In 2027, the Three Wise Men will bring us the keys to our homes; now that will be a real gift," Chiva says. The enthusiasm is shared by Baldoví and Abarca – we spoke with him by phone. "We're very hopeful. We're really looking forward to it," he summarizes.

The building's rehabilitation began on July 4th. The work is being carried out by the company Dragados with a budget of over 20 million euros – covered by the insurance company – and a completion timeframe of between seventeen and eighteen months. "It's a real success that we recovered the apartments in just three years. I never would have imagined it would be so easy and quick," emphasizes Àlex, who points out that so far he hasn't had to contribute any money. "I thought we might have to pay 30,000 or 40,000 euros, but so far we haven't had to make any special assessments," adds Àlex. "The insurance companies and the administration have worked very well together. And it's also thanks to the homeowners' association and many of our colleagues in the residents' association, who are doing a fabulous job," highlights Javier.

Cargando
No hay anuncios

Delays in aid

Those affected are waiting for the completion of the renovations to the apartments they rented with aid from the Generalitat (Valencian regional government), which is scheduled to be extended into 2027, as is the mortgage moratorium. Javier and his family rented an apartment in the Campanar neighborhood. They needed to return to facilitate transportation for their three- and six-year-old children to school. The same is true for José Javier, who lives almost opposite the damaged building with his partner and daughter. A little further east lives Àlex, in Pla del Real.

Cargando
No hay anuncios

All three interviewees expressed their gratitude for the administration's actions. So much so that they forgive the delays in receiving their rental assistance payments. There have been cases of residents who received their full payments in December 2025, a situation that forced them to advance the amount to their tenants each month. This understanding is facilitated by the impact of the DANA storm. "Knowing I'd finally get paid, I was calm," says Àlex. "The storm has complicated everything," adds Javier, who emphasizes that the regional ministries "had a lot of work."

Cargando
No hay anuncios

But the certainty that they will soon return to their homes has been key to overcoming the memories of the tragedy. This is the case for Javier, who has left behind the sleep difficulties he and his partner experienced. "Thanks to the psychological support and the progress being made by the building, we're coping better every day," he summarizes. "I got over it very quickly," explains Àlex, who admits that he didn't know the victims—450 people lived in the building—and that this made it easier. This isn't the case for Javier, who did know a family with two young children—they met at a nearby kindergarten and children's pool—who died.

The sense of security the new building provides has also played a significant role in helping them move past their grief. The facade will remain ventilated to improve its insulation, but the cladding will now be ceramic, which is much more fire-resistant. Firebreaks will also be installed, and the evacuation routes, which previously converged on a single staircase, will be improved. "It will be one of the safest in Spain or Europe," Àlex emphasizes.

Cargando
No hay anuncios

Court case file

The only point that didn't move forward was the judicial investigation for the families of the ten victims and the fifteen injured. In July, the Provincial Court of Valencia upheld the dismissal of the case, rejecting the residents' appeals. The court considers the events to be accidental, not criminal, since the fire could have originated from a kitchen appliance in one of the apartments.

Cargando
No hay anuncios

Javier and Àlex say goodbye, watching intently as the workers, wearing striking orange and yellow vests, continue their work. They still have a lot to do, but thanks to them, these apartments, which had been a death trap due to unsuitable materials and inadequate evacuation routes, will be restored.