The Catalan government has called on the Military Emergency Unit (UME) and confirmed that, for now, swine fever has not reached any farms in the affected area.

Ordeig warns that there will be "zero tolerance" for anyone who does not respect the restrictions in Collserola, where more dead specimens have been found.

Access to Collserola Park is closed this Sunday morning
Upd. 9
2 min

BarcelonaThe Catalan Minister of Agriculture, Òscar Ordeig, confirmed this Sunday that the African swine fever virus has not reached any of the farms surrounding the area where infected wild boars were found. "We confirm that we are talking about positive cases in wild boars and in no case has it reached the farms," he said at a press conference in Lleida. So far, the positive and suspected cases detected are in wild boars, and they have been found in the municipality of Cerdanyola del Vallès, next to the Collserola Park. Tests carried out on the 39 farms within a six-kilometer radius of the area where the sick animals were found have ruled out the presence of the virus in any farmed pigs. However, Ordeig has called on livestock farmers to take extra biosecurity precautions, paying special attention to farm fences and exercising extreme caution when entering and leaving to prevent the virus from spreading. The regional minister also asked the entire population to respect the mobility restrictions in Collserola Park, warning that those who do not comply will face fines and that the police will have "zero tolerance" for non-compliance. "We are in a health crisis," he said. Ordeig argued that controlling cases of African swine fever "is not just a matter for livestock farmers and the food sector; it is a national issue. It needs to be done well and quickly, and all necessary resources must be allocated."

This Sunday, the government intensified controls and surveillance at the entrances to Collserola to prevent people from entering and potentially spreading the African swine fever virus that affects wild boar. However, the restrictions did not stop some people from visiting the area, most of whom claimed they were unaware of the ban. Besides Collserola, three other natural parks in the Barcelona area suspended various activities this Sunday due to the African swine fever outbreak. These included the guided tour of the Mura cave in Sant Llorenç Park; the mushroom walk in Marina Park; and the visit to Sant Miquel del Fai.

A closed picnic area, on the perimeter of the Collserola park

This Sunday, wild boar captures are also taking place in Collserola Park with more personnel than were working in the area on Saturday. Ordeig explained that the captures are being carried out with cages, traps, and repellents instead of the roundups usually conducted by hunters, because this could frighten the animals, and it is preferable to keep them within a defined perimeter. To reinforce the operation, the Catalan government has already requested that the Military Emergency Unit (UME) also send its hunting specialists. They are expected to join the efforts on Monday, alongside the emergency teams and Rural Agents already deployed.

Four cases pending confirmation

Regarding the infection figures, Ordeig noted that there are currently two officially confirmed cases and four pending confirmation. In these latter cases, preliminary tests conducted at the Animal Health Research Center (IRTA-CReSA) have come back positive, but official confirmation from the Ministry of Agriculture is still pending, the regional minister clarified. Ordeig confirmed that more dead animals have been found and that all suspected cases are located in the area closest to Cerdanyola del Vallès, but declined to provide figures on the number of positive results from preliminary tests or the number of reports received from citizens who have found animals. "We shouldn't have to report new cases every day," he said.

stats