Bad Bunny criticizes a luxury tourist megaproject in Puerto Rico
In a concert at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, the Puerto Rican artist calls for the resignation of the island's governor
Barcelona"This chaos, this disaster, they have created it expressly to try to play with our emotions, to try to make us give up, to leave, and to continue selling the island piece by piece and make a Puerto Rico without Puerto Ricans," said Bad Bunny on Saturday during the concert at the Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan. This forceful criticism was aimed at the Esencia project, which foresees the construction of a luxury tourist megacomplex in the southwest of the island that includes an exclusive residential area and several hotels in Cabo Rojo. In addition, Bad Bunny invited the concert audience to participate in the demonstrations against the project and also called for the resignation of Jennifer González, the governor of Puerto Rico since January 2025.
The performance of the Puerto Rican artist in San Juan is part of the tour for the album I should have taken more photos (2025) that in May passed through the Olympic Stadium Lluís Companys in Barcelona and after traveling the world returns to Puerto Rico. Bad Bunny, acclaimed as a hero by the crowd that filled the venue, also recalled the difficulties, especially energy-related, that the island's population suffers and which cause power outages. "I can't bring water to those who have no water, nor can I bring light to those who see their power cut every day, but I can bring them joy and pride in being from here. I want to bring them hope and strength to continue defending this land. You will save this people!", said the author of Unforgettable dance.
As in the rest of the tour, and as reported by the Efe agency, the concert was a show that went through Bad Bunny's different souls, the one most connected with the island's rhythmic traditions and which makes up a large part of the album I should have taken more photos, and that of the most associated successes with reggaeton and dembow like Tití asked me. On Saturday's performance, the guest artists were the Puerto Rican Farruko and the Dominican-American Arcángel.
The tour of I should have taken more photos began in 2025 in Puerto Rico, and since then Bad Bunny has performed in various countries in Latin America and Europe, as well as Japan and Australia. On the other hand, he has not been to the United States, where he decided he would not perform as a protest against the immigration policy of the government presided over by Donald Trump, and to prevent anti-immigration raids among the audience at his concerts. He did perform a show in Los Angeles in January, during the Super Bowl halftime. And, round the world and back to Born, this weekend has closed the tour with two concerts in Puerto Rico.