The outbreak of African swine fever (ASF) in Catalonia is believed to have started a month before the first case was detected.
Hunters criticize the fact that, "without training," they must extract blood from the wild boars they kill to analyze whether they are infected.
Barcelona"The available data indicate that the outbreak began between September and October, not later." This is one of the first conclusions drawn by IRTA-CReSA—the leading animal health institution in Catalonia—regarding the origin of the African swine fever (ASF) outbreak in Catalonia. IRTA, which is also one of Europe's most established research centers on ASF, raises the possibility that the ASF outbreak began one or two months before the first case of African swine fever was detected in Bellaterra at the end of November. IRTA-CReSA explains this in a statement, asserting that the center "is pleased that it has been confirmed that it is not the origin of the African swine fever outbreak." "Scientific evidence confirms this," they emphasize in the document, where they recall that the initial state report, made public last week, shows how "the genetic sequencing of the pathogen that infected the animals found dead in the wild has been compared with the DNA of the strains used in the IRTA biosafety facilities." Furthermore, IRTA announces that "in the coming weeks" it will launch a study on the degree of virulence, behavior, and transmissibility of the virus causing the outbreak. In this regard, they detail that up to this week, more than a thousand samples have been analyzed, of which 155 have tested positive for African swine fever (ASF), and eighteen tons of meat related to the outbreak have been incinerated—the same amount that is usually incinerated in nine months. Moreover, the researchers are also working on the analysis and processing of the data, which is shared daily with the Department of Agriculture. It is in this part of the investigation where they have They found that "the available data" indicate that the outbreak began between September and October 2025. Regarding its origin, IRTA insists that "everything points to the investigations having to refocus on the introduction of contaminated food into the country." In other words, the famous sandwich theory.
Hunters criticize having to draw blood
Still on the subject of African swine fever (ASF), on Monday wild boar hunters criticized the Department of Agriculture for requiring them to take blood samples to determine if animals outside the ASF risk zone are contaminated. According to the hunters, the samples are being taken "without any training," after attending a meeting where a veterinarian demonstrated the procedure using a video. Enric Vélez, president of the hunters' association AgrupCat, told ACN that he considers the process "reckless" and that, for "biosecurity" reasons, it should be carried out by experts. Other members of the group have pointed to excessive bureaucracy as the problem. The hunters' criticism stems from a recent change in regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture to allow wild boar hunts in low-risk areas. This change requires blood samples to be taken from all hunted animals, a task that must be performed by the hunters themselves. The president of AgrupCat pointed out that the average age of hunters in Catalonia "is around 65" and that many of the group's members "have never even held a needle." Vélez criticized the samples, stating they are "highly dangerous biological material" and that transporting them with hunters could lead to "ruin in rural areas." "What we don't want is to be blamed if the disease spreads," Vélez emphasized. Meanwhile, the president of the Catalan Hunting Federation, Joaquín Zarzoso—who is also president of one of the hunting societies operating within the 20-kilometer radius of the low-risk African swine fever (ASF) zone—told ARA that the health risk is not new. "We hunters are used to cleaning up wild boars from years past," Zarzoso pointed out, adding that "there are wild boars with tuberculosis that have been handled when being taken to market" and that, therefore, "the risk has always existed."
On the contrary, Zarzoso believes the current discontent stems from the complexity of the process. "With this operational range, up to the 20 kilometers we're currently operating within, the protocol is incredibly laborious," he emphasized. In this regard, the hunter explained that the process begins with reporting the hunts and their locations. Once the animals are hunted, samples must be taken from each wild boar in two tubes, and then a series of data points must be filled out to ensure proper traceability. Finally, the samples must be taken to the regional offices of the Generalitat (Catalan government), and the hunted boars placed in designated containers. "All of this entails a significant expense in both time and money," Zarzoso stressed. However, the president of the Catalan Hunting Federation asserted that although "help from the administration is needed because hunters are bearing the costs," he understands that this is an extraordinary situation: "As a hunting community, we must help within our means."
In response to complaints from the sector, the Minister of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, and Food, Òscar Ordeig, asked hunters for "calm" this Monday and assured them that the protocol is working properly and is being implemented in accordance with expert advice. However, the minister expressed his willingness to listen to hunters' concerns and clarify any questions. He also explained that if it is necessary to "adapt any element" of the procedure, they will do so, but he also took the opportunity to highlight that, to date, the system has allowed for the hunting of approximately 2,000 wild boar per week.